Senior Electrical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Hardware
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of Kitty Hawk’s Flyer team, you will work on a variety of projects from vehicle avionics and power systems to ground infrastructure. We design, build, test, fly in rapid iteration, so you’ll be an energetic, adaptable engineer who can make sound engineering judgements with limited information. You must be comfortable taking a design from high-level system architecture through schematic capture and PCB layout to bench testing and flight testing. Your time will be split between design, bench, and flight test as we accelerate the future of aviation.
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator, avid documenter, and integrated team member.
You should be able to describe your contributions to previous personal, academic, open source and/or professional projects that you are most proud of.
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Development of power electronics and motor controllers (>80VDC)
- Development of battery management systems (>1kWh capacity)
- Architecture design for redundancy and fault tolerance
- Digital and analog schematic circuit design, PCB layout, board bring-up, and design verification
- Design and test for reliability in high vibration and high temperature environments
- Design and test for mitigation of RF emission and protection against electrical susceptibilities
- Design for manufacture of PCB assemblies and system level interconnect
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Experience with Altium designer for schematic capture and PCB layout
- Shipped product in a regulated market such as aerospace or medical
- Familiarity with firmware development in C, C++
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.