Flight Test Technician
Flyer – Flight Test
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
At Kitty Hawk we learn by testing. The Flight Test team has rigorously validated the Flyer vehicle with 25,000+ flights at our test sites in the Bay Area & Las Vegas. As a Flight Test Technician you will be remotely piloting Flyer eVTOL vehicle through experimental & release testing.
You will spend the majority of your time at our test facility in Lake Las Vegas, NV, where you will use state-of-the-art tools to perform and analyze engineering tests.
This role is based in Las Vegas, NV with considerable travel required.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn to fly the Flyer remotely by completing our training program
- Shadow Test operations at Northern California test site, learning how to operate the site safely
- Complete your first release & verification of new software & hardware
- Become a certified test pilot, and fly the vehicle to analyze handling characteristics
Within 6 months you will:
- Perform remote experimental flight test pushing the vehicle to its limits
- Play a key role in testing our next generation aircraft that will broaden our market
- Manage remote operation of the Flyer eVTOL vehicle at our test facility in Henderson, NV
- Execution of engineering tests through structured, and unstructured flight
- Identifying bugs in hardware & software by monitoring telemetry data while testing. Documenting bugs with technical information in Jira software
- Collaborate directly with SW and HW engineers to resolve any questions in the test plan prior to testing
- Install & maintain test equipment (cameras, sensors, DAQ) on vehicles
- Troubleshooting with off-site engineering team when bugs are found, communicating the technical details clearly
- Adhere to and continuously improve SOPs for start-up, shutdown, bug reporting, etc.
- At least 3-years experience remotely piloting drones, UAS, or RC Plane
- Safety minded, naturally prioritizing the safety of our people above all else
- At least 3-years experience in flight test and/or flight operations role, or remote piloting
- Comfortable operating vehicles remotely, and as a crewed operator (after completing training program)
- Excited by the prospect of working outdoors 4-5 days / week
- Travel about 10-days per month consistently
We are headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and have operations in Henderson, NV. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.