Engineering Data Management Specialist
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Aerostructures /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are seeking an Engineering Data Management Specialist to join our growing aerostructures team. This position offers a unique opportunity to be involved early in the conceptual design of the aircraft and drive key program decisions surrounding aircraft configuration. Your role will be at the interface of PLM and mass tracking. You will also work hand in hand with the design team on CAD structure, BOM, component placement and with the aerodynamics team on defining CG envelopes. Positive attitude, attention to detail, passion, and self-learner mentality are a must have.
- Own engineering Bill of Material (BOM) and mass budgets
- Maintain the PLM system and CAD structure
- Build and own the mass tracking framework for the program
- Embed the framework within the PLM system
- Work with the engineering team to ensure accurate mass reporting and understand uncertainties
- Roll up component mass and uncertainties from component to aircraft level
- Ensure that all CG cases and aircraft configurations are appropriately considered
- Provide regular mass updates to leadership
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline
- Experience managing mass properties within aircraft programs
- Good understanding of CAD tree structures and associated metadata
- Strong proficiency in Excel, Matlab, or Python
- Hands-on experience with the 3DEXPERIENCE platform
- Proficiency with CAD systems (Catia, NX, or equivalent)
- Basic understanding of the impact of mass, CG, and inertia on aircraft dynamics
- Detailed understanding of review and approval processes for engineering documents
- Familiarity with part numbering systems
- Experience building mass management systems for small aircraft
- Ability to create custom tools to interface with PLM systems
- Experience with small aircraft certification programs
- Expert knowledge of MES and ERP systems and interfaces with PLM
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.