Power Electronics Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Electrical Engineering
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
You will work in a team developing propulsion systems for an electric aircraft, and would be responsible for developing power electronics assemblies, such as high power density controllers for brushless permanent magnet motors, DC/DC converters, and other weight-optimized power electronics.
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Learn about the aircraft electronics architecture and hardware development processes
- Participate in the development and test of high power weight-optimized motor controllers and DC/DC converters
- Perform schematic capture, PCB layout, implement control algorithms and performance validation testing at the power electronics and propulsion system levels
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Take ownership of power electronics concept development, architecture trade studies, requirements development, detailed performance analysis, optimization and component specification
- Make recommendations to continually improve our processes
- PhD with two years experience, MSEE degree with at least four years of experience, or a BSEE/BSME degree with at least eight years of experience
- Prior experience developing multi-kilowatt power electronics
- Experience designing and weight optimizing high power inductors
- Experience designing for and troubleshooting EMI/EMC related issues
- A good grasp of analog and digital hardware development and validation techniques
- Ability to model, simulate and optimize performance
- Great interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with DO-160/DO-254 certification and aerospace development best practices and standards
- Experience with weight minimization is strongly desired
- Experience with 10kW and above three-phase motor drive hardware design is strongly desired
- Experience developing thermal management approaches for power electronics
- Familiarity with the latest SiC and GaN power electronic devices
- Experience writing and executing test procedures for design validation and qualification
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-461
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.