Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Engineering
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a Loads Engineer for Heaviside, you will:
Develop and maintain loads for the aircraft , clearly communicate enveloping load cases to engineering team, develop test plans to validate loads and correlate models, work with design and test engineers to design hardware tests that accurately reflect system loads, and work with software and controls teams to improve flying qualities.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or another relevant field
- 5+ years experience as a Loads Engineer
- Proficiency with Finite Element Analysis
- Strong understanding of aircraft dynamics
- Experience generating loads for fatigue driven systems
- Ability to simplify complex engineering systems with a solid understanding of fundamental concepts
- Experience with aeroelastic analysis
- Experience with aircraft certification requirements
- Experience with vibratory loads and rotor dynamics
- A pilot’s license or experience in related areas of flight such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, etc.
- Experience with ASwing, AVL, xfoil, and other simple CFD tools
- Experience with NASTRAN, RCAS, or other high fidelity aeroelastic packages
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.