Senior Mechanical/Aero Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Hardware
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Senior Mechanical/Aero Engineer to join the Flyer team. As a member of the Hardware team, you will have substantial responsibility in the design, testing, and continuous improvement that are critical to safe and efficient flight.
- Own the aero / structural design of Flyer moving forward, including analyses and tradeoffs
- Collaborate on incremental updates to the current vehicle, possibly including updates to motors, structure/stiffness, etc.
- Work closely with Controls and EEs to define performance specifications and drive component selection (e.g., improved motors)Architect (collaboratively) the next-generation Flyer
- PhD ME/Aero/Astro plus at least three years experience, or BS/BEng ME/Aero/Astro plus 6 years (Experience requirement may be softened for the right candidate. Aero experience is required.)
- Demonstrated experience in multi-rotor craft
- Demonstrated experience making design tradeoffs for flying vehicles, systems perspective
- Understanding of composite structures and appropriate use of FEA analysis
- Knowledge of generalized aviation testing set ups, and typical test targets (fatigue, corrosion, etc)
- Experience with SolidWorks and PDM
- Experience working with external vendors, domestically and abroad
- Understanding of design control, specification writing, and test burden in regulated environment (desired)
- Demonstrated self-starter; team player without an ego, great collaborator
- Passionate about aviation, and doing whatever it takes to deliver value
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.