Aircraft Ground Test Technician
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Ground test /
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
In the Heaviside team, we are continuously improving our flight hardware, which means that ground testing is vital to our production of ever safer and more capable aircraft. As the first ground test technician on the team you will play a vital role in demonstrating flight-worthiness on new generations of hardware. You will have a front row seat for some spectacular tests to failure and beyond.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn to operate existing ground tests
- Take part in flight tests to learn operational requirements first hand
Within 6 months you will:
- Be solely responsible for the execution of a range of tests
- Design test improvements
- Execute and document tests that are then relied upon for engineering and manufacturing direction within the company
Within 9 months you will:
- Design and implement new ground test apparatuses
- Debug and improve tests with non intuitive results
- Act as a subject matter expert and contribute to the training of new technician hires
You must have the following experience and skills:
- Experience in a test environment, and familiarity with the rigor involved in test documentation and execution
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- An aptitude for learning hands-on skills and an intuition for mechanical systems
- High standards of workmanship and an attention to detail
- An ability to analyze risks and assess site safety in an environment with large amounts of stored energy, both mechanical and electrical
Ideally you would also have the following:
- A pilot’s license or experience in related areas of flight such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, etc.
- An interest in aircraft, cars, or other complex mechanical systems, and a good knowledge of how they work
- Machine shop skills and experience in a CAD environment
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.