Senior Battery Electrical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Hardware
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are seeking a Battery Engineer to join our Hardware team developing the battery systems of an electric aircraft, including: pack, battery management system, charger, electrical interconnections, thermal management, and automated test equipment. You will participate in entire lifecycle from concept, architecture, design, simulation, prototyping, documentation, manufacturing, certification, and service. There will be an emphasis to develop and improve components for safety, efficiency, and manufacturability.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Develop automated tests and simulators for battery systems
- Coordinate safety, certification, and reliability testing for current generation system
- Collaborate with manufacturing on processes, tooling, and quality control
- Implement opportunities for improvement with our current pack and BMS
- Become a first time Flyer!!!
Within 6 months you will:
- Audit and build relationships with battery system supply chain
- Implement opportunities for improvement with our charger
- Fly a prototype of next-generation high power density battery pack and BMS!
Within 12 months you will:
- Coordinate safety, certification, and reliability testing for next generation battery system
- Scale next generation battery system to manufacturing
- Start the project to enable Flyer to leverage existing EV charging infrastructure
- Watch airplanes fly around making use of the hardware you designed!
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, or related field
- 7+ years of relevant work experience
- Battery pack design and test experience
- OrCAD Capture schematic and Mentor PADS PCB layout or equivalent experience
- Solidworks 3D modeling or an equivalent experience
- Power distribution analysis experience
- PSpice simulation experience
- Battery management system firmware development experience
- Ability to analyze and optimize for weight reduction
- Demonstrated ability to go from concept to hardware in minimal time
- Experience with electrical vehicles
- Knowledge of aerospace and/or automotive grade high voltage connectors
- Knowledge of aerospace and/or automotive development best practices and standards
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python or equivalent analysis tools
- Experience with detailed design and development of injection molded parts, 3D printed parts, composite parts, and machined metallic parts.
- Interest in aviation / aerospace
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.