Senior Electrical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Electrical Engineering
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are currently seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer with broad experience to join us in developing exciting and revolutionary systems for a new class of all-electric aircraft. As Senior Electrical Engineer, you will join an existing team of electrical and FPGA firmware engineers. This group develops all of the electrical hardware in the Cora vehicle, including flight computers, high power density controllers for brushless permanent magnet motors, DC/DC converters, low voltage power distribution systems, battery management systems, servo actuators, vision and radar sensors, and miscellaneous other power electronics and avionics systems. You will have the opportunity to contribute from early brainstorming and concept development, through aircraft integration and troubleshooting issues that arise during flight testing.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become part of the team, get familiar with team members and learn what they are working on
- Learn about the aircraft electronics architecture and existing hardware/firmware development processes
- Work with electrical engineers on board level and sub-system level bring up and troubleshooting
- Become a reviewer of schematics, layouts, analyses, and test results
Within 6 months you will:
- Upgrade and redesign existing electrical subsystems while producing documentation of the design, analysis and test results
- Support certification verification testing, analysis and documentation of electrical hardware for Cora
- Contribute to writing requirements of new electrical systems
Within 12 months you will:
- Evaluate options for improving the avionics and power distribution architecture
- Kickoff and shepard development of both entirely new and upgraded avionics and power distribution systems
- BSEE degree with at least six years of experience. A master’s degree and/or PhD count toward years of experience.
- Experience with development, design, analysis and test of: Analog Sensor Interfaces. Power Supplies and Topology Selection, Microprocessor/MCU Integration, and Thermal Management of Electronics
- Familiarity with DO-160 certification and aerospace development best practices and standards
- Comfortable with aerospace development best practices and standards
- Great interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead small teams of engineers
- Experience with Altium schematic capture and layout tools
- Expertise in schematic capture and layout of high-speed digital PCBs
- Experience with high voltage (600VDC) and/or multi-kilowatt design and test
- Experience with weight minimization and performance optimization
- Experience developing thermal management approaches for power electronics
- Familiarity with the latest SiC and GaN power electronic devices
- Experience writing and executing test procedures for design validation and qualification
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.