Director of Facilities & Workplace Services
Palo Alto, CA
Kitty Hawk – Business Operations
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Director of Facilities & Workplace Services to help us continue to cultivate a great environment for employees to work! The position manages a budget, leads real estate strategy and planning decisions, owns facilities builds & maintenance, and is responsible day-to-day workplace services. The Director of Facilities & Workplace Services will lead a team which currently includes a Facilities Coordinator and an Employee Health and Safety Manager. This role reports to the Head of Finance.
- Lead and manage activities and negotiations relating to leases, site selection, design, planning, construction of new facilities, modification or expansion of existing facilities, and contract services, including obtaining necessary licenses, permits, and clearances
- Own capital projects and drive operating budget reports for multiple properties
- Demonstrate strong leadership, responsiveness, and creativity in the day-to-day workplace management activities
- Build and grow strong relationships with internal business partners, landlords, vendors, service providers
- Negotiate efficient and fiscally responsible contracts
- Promote change, and facilitate continuous improvement in all areas of workplace services
- Oversee and monitor Employee Health and Safety training, ensuring alignment with appropriate regulations and policies
- Manage physical security and access control for facilities, and collaborate closely with IT as it relates to security on-premises
- Ability to think “out of the box” and bring creative, nonstandard and innovative solutions to the table
- Be service-oriented and help drive a culture of positive workplace events and functions
- 15+ years progressive history in facilities with 5+ years managing facilities at a company with multiple properties and buildings
- Extensive knowledge of relevant laws around workplace safety and OSHA regulations
- Experience with AUTOCAD is a plus
- Effective leadership skills through adaptations to changes in workload, challenging current processes for improvement, and the mentoring and coaching of team members
- Impeccable attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and adaptability skills
- Ability to roll up your sleeves and effect positive change
- Proven track record of of managing many time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines
- Experience building & leading a team
- Some travel required
We are located in Palo Alto, with great access to nice outdoor spaces. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.