Software Engineer, Flight Test Support
Palo Alto, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join the software and controls group in our special projects team. Your primary responsibility will be addressing the needs of the flight test team as they scale their operations. Specifically, you’ll be implementing new features and providing technical support for the ground control station, avionics software, flight controller, and data analysis pipeline. You’ll also be an integral member of the flight test team, and will regularly participate in flight tests.
- Implement features and provide technical support for the ground control station, avionics software, flight controller, and related flight test software infrastructure
- Develop flight log analysis tools for monitoring fleet health and performance
- Improve and maintain the hardware-in-the-loop infrastructure
- Manage the flight software release process
- Frequently participate in flight tests and support efficient scaling of flight test operations
- Equivalent of MS in Computer Science or a related field
- Strong C++ and Python skills
- Experience with robotics, autonomous vehicles, or drones operating in a real-world environment
- Familiarity with modern software development processes and tools (Linux, Bazel, Git, Gerrit, CI, etc.)
- Comfortable occasionally working in an outdoor environment, where you may be exposed to rain, snow, and extreme heat or cold
- Experience with safety-critical software development (DO-178C, MISRA, etc.)
- Basic understanding of modern control theory (stability analysis, Kalman filtering) and flight vehicle dynamics
- Familiarity with Nix, Haskell, Jenkins, or GCP
- Passion for aviation and the future of transportation
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.