Mechanical Engineer, Battery Pack Systems
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Aircraft Systems
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our team developing the battery systems of an electric aircraft, including: pack design, module design, electrical interconnection, harnessing, BMS integration, cooling systems, electronics enclosures, all associated assembly tools and test equipment, and more. There will be an emphasis to design and updating designs for manufacturability. You will participate in concept development, design, prototyping, structural analysis, drawing creation, documentation, assembly and system level test.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know the team
- Design parts in support of ongoing projects lead by other engineers
- Help build prototype battery systems
- Help test battery systems
- Take on increasing responsibility and design ownership
Within 6 months you will:
- Take ownership of the mechanical engineering portion of the battery, including design and analysis
- Take ownership of the procurement and BOM of the battery pack
- Work with technicians and other engineers to develop manufacturing processes, tooling, procedures, quality control points, inspection plans, etc.
- Work with manufacturing engineers and production staff to start transitioning your project into production
- Support on aircraft testing and integration of the battery system
Within 12 months you will:
- Watch airplanes fly around making use of the hardware you designed
- Support issues discovered during production
- Support certification testing efforts
- Take on more challenging projects, more responsibility, and get involved in more aspect of the design than just the mechanical engineering aspects
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Battery pack design and test experience
- Power distribution development experienceExperience with 3D modeling using Solidworks or an equivalent CAD system
- Ability to analyze and optimize for weight reduction
- Strong experience working with large assemblies
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiasm and desire to design a large quantity of high performance hardware
- Demonstrated ability to go from concept to hardware in minimal time
- Knowledge of aerospace grade high voltage connectors
- Knowledge of aerospace development best practices and standards
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python or equivalent analysis tools
- Experience with detailed design and development of injection molded parts, 3D printed parts, composite parts, and machined metallic parts.
- Interest in aviation/aerospace
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.