Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Operations
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Kitty Hawk's Flyer division has a need for a flexible and talented person to support the development of our amazing aircraft. You will learn how to provide instruction and guidance to people who will be piloting Flyer, as well as to fulfill the safety pilot role for those pilots during flight.
As part of the Operations team, you will also be involved in the the delivery of the overall pilot experience; including safety equipment and personnel management, demonstrations to stakeholders, occasional flying as a test pilot, and delivering excellent customer service.
You will be involved with the set up of new operations sites, training of new trainers, and in providing ongoing feedback as we develop our aircraft.
- Provide effective ground, simulator, and flight instruction in accordance with FAR Part 103
- Fly/operate the vehicle as part of the test team in order to gain expert knowledge on its flight characteristics and support requirements
- Demonstrate, participate in, and ensure a safety culture
- Teach, guide, and evaluate the skill of trainees and work to enhance areas where trainees show a weakness in understanding.
- Be a mentor and coach, guiding trainees through their first flight(s) with the vehicle
- Maintain level head in time of stress or emergency.
- Maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive information
- Generate and maintain appropriate records (manifests, waivers, weather reports, etc.)
- Monitor and manage safety equipment
- Be part of a team providing demos and setting up operations in multiple locations, including training other trainers
- 2 years of prior experience as a professional instructor in an activity that involves skill development, decision making, and an element of risk (examples: flight instructor, scuba dive instructor, ski instructor)
- Weigh less than 200 pounds
- Love of aviation and things that fly
- Skilled at effective communication
- Patient, friendly, and encouraging
- Willing to travel frequently
- Pilot certificate a plus
- Be able to swim
Within 3 months you'll:
- Learn about the vehicle and its standard flight operating procedures
- Develop an understanding of the rules and regulations governing our operations
- Contribute to the execution of a rapid ramp up in training and flight operations
- Operate the vehicle, building towards expert knowledge on its flight characteristics
- Guide trainees through their simulator training and first flights on the the vehicle
Within 6 month you'll:
- Be skilled in identifying risks and student mistakes and knowing how to correct them.
- Contribute to the further development of the flight training syllabus and the standard operating procedures
- Provide ongoing feedback to the vehicle engineering team
Within 9-12 months you'll:
- Contribute to development and testing of training and operating the vehicle at new locations.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.