Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a systems engineer to join a yet-to-be-announced project. As an early hire in a rapid development process, you will have a considerable amount of responsibility in the development and documentation of flight vehicle reliability, redundancy, safety, and performance.
Within 3 months you will:
- Collate existing vehicle requirements
- Develop system fault trees
- Develop test cases and design ground validation tests to support requirements validation
Within 6 months you will:
- Modify requirements according to test learnings
- Develop and improve data analysis techniques for use on flight and ground test results
Within 9 months you will:
- Make improvements to system failure management topology
- Make improvements to system design and operation for increased performance and reduced wear
- Make major decisions on where effort should be focused or not focused, based off of realistic analysis of impacts on flight vehicle performance and reliability
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- An engineering degree in a related field, plus at least a few years of work experience (or the equivalent)
- Experience with design and implementation of validation tests for complex hardware with challenging system wide constraints
- Strong data analysis and reduction skills, and the associated competence in Python, MATLAB, or a similar scripting language
- Strong background in at least some of the relevant disciplines (dynamics and control, aerodynamics, mechanisms, composite structures, power electronics, electrical engineering, human factors, etc)
- Passable background in many of the remaining relevant disciplines
- Strong background in design and implementation of redundant systems
Ideally you would also have the following:
- A pilot license or experience in related areas of flight such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, etc.
- Previous experience in a technical leadership role
- Previous experience with requirements derivation and tracking
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.