Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Engineering
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a talented Reliability Engineer to help develop an exciting new class of all-electric personal aircraft. As a member of the Kitty Hawk Flyer team you will design and implement reliability test programs that drive the Flyer to ever-increasing reliability. You will be responsible for testing and analysis that will enable us to deliver this extraordinary product at scale.
You should enjoy working in a small team, owning substantial and critical parts of the final product. You’re a team player without an ego, and you’re passionate about doing whatever it takes to deliver value. We are working on something that has never been done before, so you’ll be energetic, adaptable and a fast learner who can make sound engineering judgments with limited information.
- Perform reliability analysis and predictions, define and execute tests, including designing/building fixtures and employing sensors and lab equipment/external labs as needed
- Collaborate on Flyer design, investigate failures, recommend design changes to improve reliability
- Analyze field data to spot trends/potential future failures; guide the team on additional data to log
- Define and execute tests to quantify component life (MTBF / HALT)
- Perform design for reliability reviews (DFR), participate in DFMEAs
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or related field, strong understanding of mechanical/materials fundamentals
- 3+ years demonstrated reliability engineering experience in product development teams
- Experience developing product/process qualification tests plans and aging experiments (HALT, HASS); understanding of statistics/probability
- Environmental testing experience (thermal, vibe, etc.); experience with commonly used sensors and data acquisition tools
- Experience designing and building test fixtures; hand-on test execution
- Proven troubleshooting/failure analysis skills
- Knowledge of industry standards (IEC, UL, MIL, DO-160, etc)
- Familiarity with Python and test automation
- Strong data analysis skills and excellent attention to detail
- Passion for aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.