Quality Test Technician (Composites)
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Manufacturing Engineering
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a Composite Test and NDT Technician to join our Quality Team. We design, analyze, manufacture and test composite structure for unconventional aircraft. Working within a team of engineers and technicians, you will execute tests by following test procedures, collect data, and document results, and make acceptance decisions. These tests include both acceptance testing of flight hardware, as well as qualification testing to validate new design.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn what a great place Kitty Hawk is to work and be a part of an awesome team
- Shadow the current technicians and engineers and supervisors to learn how our supplier evaluation program works
Within 6 months you will:
- Learn the ins-and-outs of each and every composite component
- Actively participate in the improvement of current test procedures to ramp-up for production
- Contribute to qualification and certification test efforts of new hardware
Within 12 months you will:
- Be capable of understanding and operating tests and NDT on the aircraft
- Support production and continually improve our test equipment and facility
- Keep contributing and support all test and NDT efforts
- Minimum four years of experience in testing
- Great attention to detail
- Troubleshooting and failure investigation experience (RCCA)
- Experience following test procedures for composite structure
- Ability to think critically about each test step and the consequence on the article being tested
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement
- Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Experience setting up and operating data acquisition systems for data collection of thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure sensors, load cells, LVDT, etc.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- ANST Level II or higher in Ultrasonic and or Thermography
- Familiarity with all NDT methods
- Demonstrated interest in aircraft and aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.