Senior Software Engineer, Data
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Software Engineering /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join the software team for the Heaviside project. As the first person in this role for Heaviside, your primary responsibility will be to design, implement and maintain infrastructure to manage the data generated by the Heaviside aircraft. You’ll be working very closely with software developers and other engineers to understand their needs and the needs of the project and implement features and solutions to manage, parse, and query data generated by our aircraft fleet. If you are passionate about data, have experience with building infrastructure and thrive to deliver tools for engineers and other internal customers to make sense of the data, we’d love to hear from you. You’ll have the opportunity to join a team of very talented team that are solving some of the most complex problems for the future of transportation.
- Lead the design, implementation, and maintenance of the data platform infrastructure to manage data generated by our aircraft fleet
- Work cross functionally with different internal teams such as engineering, flight test, product management, and manufacturing to identify the use cases and needs for data analysis and reporting
- Design and implement reliable data pipelines to upload and process the data
- Organize the data for utility, usability, and scalability
- Design platform, tools and, API to perform data analysis and reporting
- 5+ years industry experience in a hands-on Data Infrastructure Engineering role or equivalent
- Strong technical background in computer science or related fields
- Proven experience in designing from the ground up infrastructure for data management
- Significant experience working with Cloud Service Providers (AWS preferred)
- Strong programming experience with relevant languages such as Python, Go, Bash, etc.
- Experience designing database schema
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and very detail oriented
- Experience in a regulated environment such as aerospace or medical
- Generalist who has collaborated closely with other teams such as data science, ML, or DevOps
- Experience with containers and container management (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Some experience in C/C++ and embedded systems
- Passion for aviation and the future of transportation
While our ideal candidate for this role is "senior," and has more than the three years of relevant work experience listed, we understand "senior" is an ambiguous term that discourages candidates from expressing interest, especially candidates from underrepresented groups. We welcome all those that wish to apply to do so, as your application will be reviewed directly by either our recruiting team and/or hiring team. If you are missing a few of the requirements above but didn't have the fortune of dissecting Linux as a kid or the opportunity to work on CI/CD for mission critical software, we still encourage you to apply and note a sentence or two addressing so in the cover letter section.
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Please note that as of August 15, 2021, all persons working on Kittyhawk company premises must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Applicants may seek an exception through the reasonable accommodation process.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.