Sr. Payroll Specialist
Palo Alto, CA
Kitty Hawk – Business Operations
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Senior Payroll specialist who will own the timely and accurate processing of Kitty Hawk’s payroll. The successful candidate is organized, flexible and have an incomparable attention to detail and thrive in a fast-paced environment. This role will report to the Director of Accounting.
- Manage all payroll operations related to employee compensation, bonuses, equity transactions, benefits, etc.
- Assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of effective payroll processes, policies, and internal controls
- Respond to employee inquiries and requests regarding payroll matters, facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures
- Ensure compliance with all payroll tax laws and consistently up-to-date on guidance for taxation of salaries and benefits in various states
- Participate in the administration of the company’s equity and stock option plan, including issuance and redemption of stocks, option grants, exercise, and termination
- 5+ years experience in payroll for 100+ employee companies (venture-backed or other private companies preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree required with concentration in Finance, Tax, Accounting (or similar field) preferred
- Experience with a total HRIS a plus
- Experience implementing new Payroll systems a plus
- Outstanding communication skills, written/verbal, and the ability to interact with employees at all levels
- Superb organizational and prioritization skills with an unparalleled attention to detail
- Flexible and can thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience with month-end close processes, including account reconciliations and accruals a plus
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification a plus
We are located in Palo Alto, with great access to nice outdoor spaces. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.