Electronics Manufacturing Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Manufacturing /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are leading the race to market with our all-electric Vertical Take off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
As a member of the Heaviside team, you will own the manufacturing of electronic components, from wire harnesses to PCBAs to complete sub-assembly builds. You will set up in-house manufacturing capabilities as well as inform make vs buy decisions. You are a motivated, detail-oriented engineer knowledgeable in both manufacturing and quality control and excited about working in a fast-paced, startup environment.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become the primary point of contact for technical issues with PCBA and wiring harness vendors
Within 6 months you will:
- Design and implement quality controls and functional tests
- Identify and qualify new vendors based on increasing production demand
Within 9 months you will:
- Develop standards for PCBA and wiring harness documentation, design, and manufacturability
- Organizational ability to manage complex timelines involving dozens of components
- Experience in the manufacturing of PCBAs and complex wire harnesses in an ISO 9001 or AS9100 environment
- Familiarity with IPC standards
- Familiarity with ePDM, Altium, or other PLM software
- Familiarity with engineering drawings, BOMs, and other technical specifications
- Experience working with a wide range of vendors and contract manufacturers including internationally
- Ability to work in and adapt to a constantly changing, dynamic environment
- 3+ years relevant work experience
- Experience in a vendor management or global supply situation
- Experience evaluating electrical component substitutions
- A background in design for manufacturing of electromechanical systems. This includes enclosures, harnessing, connectors, PCBs, thermal bonding, etc.
- Flight related hobbies or pursuits, including as a pilot, hang glider, paraglider, windsurfer, RC aircraft builder, or other
- Experience working with NPI and/or R&D teams
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.