Software Engineering Manager
Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Engineering
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to help build out our embedded software and devops teams. This could be a director level role depending on the candidate.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in the management of mission and safety critical development as well as a strong direct engineering background at some point in their career. They will have a good understanding of software engineering on robotic systems with complex dynamics and functionality, in addition to excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Managing our embedded software and devops efforts
- Recruiting new talent
- Working with other senior leadership in the development of team and company strategy, and the maintenance of company culture
- Scheduling and priority setting
- At least 7 years total experience as either an IC or manager
- History of individual contribution on hard technical challenges
- Significant leadership of teams in the range of 10-20 people, working in similar fields
- Flying related hobbies and interests such as a private pilot’s license, RC flying, hang gliding, paragliding, etc.
- Knowledge and previous experience with DO-178B/C, including some reflection on where the standard works well
- Experience with a codebase with challenging timing requirements
- Knowledge of flight dynamics and control
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.