Senior Control and Modeling Engineer - Energy Storage System
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Propulsion /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
In this role, you will be a key member of Heaviside’s propulsion team, responsible for the development of scalable energy storage system models and performance analysis, including, but not limited to, thermal, equivalent circuit, electrochemical models. You will also be responsible for development of the controls of our Battery Management System.
You should be familiar with all, proficient with most and expert at some of the following, in no particular order:
- Battery system, cell level electrical performance, and chemical thermodynamic modeling
- Cell, module, and pack characterization, including electrochemical characterization, EIS testing, and thermal characterization
- Computational programming languages (Matlab, Simulink, etc.)
- Experience with battery degradation modeling, including empirical based, physical based, etc.
- Strong experience with optimization, data processing, performance assessment, and sensitivities evaluation
- Demonstrable experience with battery control and electric powertrain control
- Experience with the design of feedback control systems and mathematical modeling and simulation
- Hands on experience with development of cell, pack, and BMS control algorithms
- Familiarity with aerospace battery systems including DO-311A and DO-160
- Experience with C/C++ and Python
- Experience with SOC and SOH algorithms
- Experience with powertrain modeling including inverter, converter, motor, and cooling systems
- Experience with estimation control techniques
- Experience with CFD and CAE simulation
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with Heaviside’s energy storage system and battery cells
- Lead battery equivalent circuit modeling evaluation and development
- Collaborate with development test engineers to post process battery test data for model characterization
Within 6 months you will:
- Scale battery cell ECM to pack and system level, including thermal and electrical components
- Develop and integrate the battery to conform to our electrical propulsion system model
- Develop based battery cell model based on real world performance
- Develop and characterize battery degradation models under different operating conditions
- Perform battery, energy storage system, and electrical propulsion system simulations and help with aircraft design, algorithm development, and verification
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.