Senior Director of Engineering
Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Engineering
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Senior Director of Engineering to lead the engineering organization for Heaviside. You will instill an appropriate engineering culture with a focus on safety and design quality. You will manage the design processes and interactions with other cross functional teams including flight test, ground test, manufacturing and operations. Lastly, you will own the tracking of our development schedule and timeline.
- 5-10 years managing large, multi-layered teams working on complex programs
- 5-10 years experience owning specific technical contributions in a relevant field
- Experience with safety critical or other high assurance systems
- Proven experience leading teams inclusive of mechanical, software, and complex electromechanical challenges
- Experience with external certification or design and process validation
- While we do not require experience in specific industries, applicable experience may include aviation, spaceflight, automotive, medical devices, or other safety driven industries with complex systems
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.