Embedded Software Lead
Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Engineering
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are seeking an embedded software lead to own the embedded operating system, embedded software architecture, IPC, fabric, real-time properties, and testing for our flight computer. This person will join as an individual contributor in a generalist software team, but will be expected to eventually build their own team.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience in mission and safety critical real time embedded software development. Strong direct engineering skills are required, experience in technical leadership of a small team is strongly desired.
- Operating system, drivers and all software connecting high level flight control outputs to hardware inputs, and vice versa
- Overall embedded software/IPC architecture
- FPGA development
- Realtime architecture to instrument and satisfy timing deadlines
- Embedded OS build system
- BS in CS/CE or equivalent
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience
- Has had significant responsibility building a real-time embedded system
- Has brought up from scratch Linux or another OS on an embedded system
- Intimately familiar with development on an RTOS or Linux with PREEMPT_RT
- Experienced in FPGA development
- Flying related hobbies and interests such as a private pilot’s license, RC flying, hang gliding paragliding, etc.
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.