Senior Mechanical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a senior mechanical engineer to join a yet-to-be-announced project. As a member of a small team, you will have substantial responsibility in the design, testing, and continuous improvement of complex mechanical assemblies that are critical to safe and efficient flight.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn the current state of the art on existing hardware
- Take design ownership and develop a revision of at least one subsystem
- Design a test plan to reach the desired operating life/reliability
Within 6 months you will:
- Ground test hardware of your design according to flight conditions
- Develop component revisions according to ground test learnings
Within 9 months you will:
- Have revised hardware being produced and flown at volume on real aircraft
- Ideally, contribute to the development of long lived, cheap components across a wide array of subsystems
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- A mechanical, physics, manufacturing, aerospace, or similar degree
- A strong background with high fatigue life, light weight construction.
- Investigation, diagnosis, design fix, and manufacturing implementation based on in-field failures
- Strong drafting and tolerancing skills
- Strong CAD skills in any halfway decent CAD program
- A background in structural analysis of metals and/or composites
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Experience in an industry such as internal combustion engine design, gas turbine mechanical design, primary metal aircraft structural design, or similar, in which corrosion, wear, fatigue, and classical machine design come in to play.
- Experience with various methods of higher rate manufacture in metals (forging, stamping, etc)
- Experience with metallurgy from a material performance perspective, as well as with surface coatings and treatments, and their effect on fatigue, wear, cost, and consistency
- A pilot's license or experience in related areas of flight such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, etc.
- Engineering related hobbies
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.