Director of Accounting
Palo Alto, CA
Kitty Hawk – Business Operations
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Director of Accounting who can help us build and maintain financial integrity and visibility. You will lead, mentor and develop a high-performing accounting team, oversee all aspects of accounting functions and provide guidance in the continuous improvement of our core financial systems and processes. This role will report to the Head of Finance.
- Be the Accounting leader for the company-- evaluate and implement critical accounting policies, systems and processes
- Lead Accounting team to deliver accurate and timely financial activities including A/P, payroll, stock comp, monthly/quarterly/year-end close, reconciliations and consolidations
- Implement and maintain accounting and control systems that reflect industry best-practices and comply with GAAP
- Drive change and process improvement within the accounting department and around the company
- Facilitate and manage tax and business compliance activities (local, state and federal)
- Partner cross-functionally to determine business transactions and effectively communicate accounting issues with departments throughout the company
- Be solutions-oriented and act as an advisor to key stakeholders on the operational and technical implications of new business transactions
- Provide guidance and support of treasury and banking functions
- 10+ years of combined technical accounting experience in a public accounting and technology and/or manufacturing organizations
- 5+ years of management experience
- Strong GAAP reporting knowledge, Big 4 experience and/or CPA certification is highly preferred
- Experience in managing and/or implementing cloud-based ERP
- Thorough knowledge of financial performance drivers, accounting principles, procedures and systems with a solid understanding of accounting, tax, treasury, cash flow, and internal controls
- Outstanding technical, analytical, and communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to thrive in a changing environment and be able to work with senior management to influence decision making, work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
We are located in Palo Alto, with great access to nice outdoor spaces. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.