Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager
Palo Alto, CA
Kitty Hawk – Business Operations
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are currently looking for an Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Manager to improve our current safety processes while ensuring compliance with all government safety regulations and standards at Kitty Hawk. This position will manage a proactive and consistent safety and environmental program by educating, training, and supporting staff across multiple facilities with the goal of preventing and eliminating employee injury in the workplace.
- Interface with insurance carriers and government agencies
- Investigate accidents and identify trends
- Manage the hazardous materials program
- Identify unsafe equipment operation and conditions while demonstrating knowledge of appropriate corrective action for unsafe conditions or equipment use
- Lead and/or participate in the investigation of employee concerns, EHS Incidents, and Employee Observations/Near Misses, along with corrective action development, implementation and follow-up
- Demonstrate professional maturity and ability to act as a change leader by influencing all levels of the organization to drive continuous improvement in safety performance
- Actively lead the Safety Committee, evaluate recommendations, develop and implement corrective actions
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in occupational health safety, or related field from an accredited institution
- 5+ years experience developing, implementing and managing effective safety and compliance programs in a manufacturing environment
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
- Experience with environmental testing and reporting in a manufacturing environment
- Experience working with Federal, state, and local agencies, including submission of reports
- Strong knowledge of OSHA regulations
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, employee relations experience, public speaking skills, and leadership presence in meetings and training environments
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects
- Strong problem solving skills and motivational abilities
- Master’s degree in EHS or related field from an accredited institution
- Experience training large groups
- Experience in composite manufacturing
- Interest in aviation
We are located in Palo Alto, with great access to nice outdoor spaces. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.