Flight Test Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Flight Test
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Flight Test Engineer to drive testing of an exciting new class of all-electric personal aircraft. You will be responsible for ongoing high-rate flight testing, uncovering bugs and issues that will lead to the development of a better product. You will conduct daily operation of the flight test facility, and maintaining fleet-readiness of full-scale and sub-scale vehicles. You’ll support test site development and optimization, on-site vehicle debugging and minor repairs, and overall maximizing operational up-time.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn team culture and methods through our onboarding process
- Learn from others about the software and hardware development processes in place
- Meet one-on-one with members of the engineering and product teams for introduction to system you’ll be testing and developing
- Remotely fly subscale vehicles in various testing environments
- Perform various operational tasks including moving vehicles, batteries, and other heavy equipment
- Work outdoors 3-5 days per week
Within 6 months you will:
- Continue to learn about the aircraft and means for improvement in performance and testing operations for productivity
- Document and provide feedback to the engineering team on reliability and performance issues
- Remotely fly full scale vehicles in various testing environments
- Participate in the debugging and repair of vehicles, touching electrical, mechanical, and software disciplines
Within 12 months you will:
- Progressively improve the testing environment for better real-world fidelity and simulation
- Conduct representative test operations as we approach product launch
- Support development and testing of next-generation aircraft designs
You will be experienced in some of the areas below, and passionate about learning more:
- BS in engineering, with relevant experience desired
- A strong safety culture and experience in safety critical operations
- Excited by the prospect of working outdoors 3-5 days per week
- A self starter with a commitment making operations more efficient. Driven to do more with less, through application of past experience and out-of-the-box problem solving
- Operational experience with trucks / trailers etc.
- Hand tool proficiency, mechanical aptitude with hardware and adhesives
- Experience with remotely-piloted and autonomous aircraft, including hobby R/C (building & flying)
- Experience with Linux operating system and command line interface
- Experience with programming languages (C++, Python) and operating systems (ROS)
- Computers skills for data visualization / management
- Experience debugging electrical hardware and software systems
- First Aid Training
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.