Loads & Dynamics Engineering Intern
Palo Alto, CA /
Kittyhawk – Interns /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are seeking an undergraduate, or graduate student or recent grad to join the Aerostructures Stress Department for a 6 month internship starting in January 2022. This position will own the development, verification and validation of the loads analysis framework (Matlab code) and the flutter analysis framework (Matlab code).
- Own the development, verification, and validation of the loads analysis framework able to calculate aircraft Vn diagrams, flight loads on lifting surfaces and rotors, landing loads, shear bending, torsion diagrams, and output results in a clear loads database
- Own all of the initial development efforts of the flutter analysis framework that is able to calculate frequency and damping vs airspeed plots in order to conduct parametric studies and design/certification runs
- Contribute to internal analysis standards, methods, and analysis tools
- Serve as a technical resource for the loads & dynamics engineering team
- Communicate with engineers of different disciplines (such as Design, Stress, and Material and Processes) to ensure loads analysis is representative of the vehicle, and not in conflict with other disciplines/requirements
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or relevant discipline
- Must be able to work full time (40 hours per week) for 24 weeks during the winter and summer terms
- Recently completed coursework providing an understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts, and techniques in aircraft structural loads, aeroelasticity, aircraft design, and performance
- Highly experienced with Matlab or Python
- Good verbal and written communications skills with ability to work in a team environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with NASTRAN (MSC or NX) and pre/post processors such as FEMAP, PATRAN, etc.
- Prior experience in related engineering disciplines
We are located in Palo Alto, with great access to nice outdoor spaces. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision, and commuter assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, happy hours, and many more.
Please note that as of August 15, 2021, all persons working on Kittyhawk company premises must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. Applicants may seek an exception through the reasonable accommodation process.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.