Software Engineer, UI and Productivity
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Flyer is seeking a UI/UX and Productivity engineer. You will be the first hire in the UI/UX department and own the implementation of Flyer’s graphical UI as well as all other graphical tools to interface with our aircraft.
We are looking for a highly motivated software engineer taking pride in front-end software development to deliver smooth and aesthetic user experiences.
- Own implementation of the human interface for Flyer, including the in-vehicle display as well as future enhancements
- Create an easy flowing interface, which makes the Flyer feel like an extension to the pilot
- Drive focused usability/productivity efforts on front end infrastructure, including interfacing with other organizations that use our software (service, flight test, operations, manufacturing)
- Rapid Prototyping of new user-facing features to gather user feedback
- Use and enhance current simulation environments to speed up prototyping and feedback loops
- Collaborate closely with Product Management and Engineering to prioritize feature development
- Work with the EEs to bring up and debug new hardware
- Support system integration, test, and debug (CI & HIL integration for screen)
- BS (MS preferred) in CS/CE/EE or related discipline
- Rapid prototyping skills Coding experience in C++
- Application development frameworks, like Qt
- Excitement to learn new technologies in any area of the stack: UI, Backend, Testing, etc.
- Experience using common design patterns in the software industry
- Creative problem-solving skills, a great sense of aesthetics, as well as user-centered design principles
- Ability to distill complex problems and information into simple (e.g. graphical) solutions
- Familiarity with Linux
- Experience with automated software development processes and modern tools (Git, CI)
- Team player without an ego, passionate about aviation, and doing whatever it takes to deliver value
- Experience shipping stable and well tested customer-facing code
- Familiarity with robotics, such as ROS
- Scripting languages, such as Python
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.