Lead Assembly Technician
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Manufacturing
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
At Kitty Hawk, we engineer, design and build safe, fun, easy-to-fly aircraft. Our mission is to make the dream of personal flight a reality. We believe when everyone has access to personal flight, a new, limitless world of opportunity will open up to them. To realize this future, we are hiring extraordinary manufacturing talent to join our Production team in Mountain View, CA. Here at Kitty Hawk, we apply principles from high-volume, automotive manufacturing to produce vehicles at quantities never before seen in aerospace.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with day to day operations of our team and build relationships with other Flyer team members.
- Learn to use Parsable, our web-based work instructions software.
- Take primary responsibility for repairing defects identified by Assembly Techs and Quality Inspectors in your area.
Within 6 months you will:
- Propose your first work instruction or process improvement.
- Take part in your first workstation audit, finding ways to improve.
- Fly the Flyer!
- Train new technicians on the processes in your area.
- Assist in retrofit and installation of engineering systems changes.
- Acquire detailed, in-depth knowledge of aircraft subsystems.
Within 12 months you will:
- Rotate with your fellow lead to take responsibility for a new area of the shop, as you gain complete knowledge of the full production lifecycle.
- Operate independently as a subject-matter expert on individual systems and the aircraft as a whole.
- Leverage assembly experience to provide constructive feedback on new products to ultimately improve aircraft architecture.
- Responsible for an area of the shop floor, ensuring that all production activities in your area are performed on-time, safely, and in a professional manner.
- Maintain incredibly high standards of workmanship, calling attention to any quality issues that are noted.
- Stage, set-up, assemble, test, and install avionics & power electronics equipment on innovative vehicle.
- Become the expert in your area, gaining deep knowledge of each process. Able to apply that knowledge in training new technicians while maintaining pace and quality.
- Flashing and troubleshooting software on various electromechanical components.
- Work closely with the Quality Inspector when defects are noted in order to repair the part/assembly to engineering standard.
- Independently perform verifications and document results in a clear, precise and complete manner.
- Collaborate with production supervisor and engineers to continuously improve processes and product.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.
- High school diploma/GED.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of leadership experience, preference for high-volume manufacturing.
- 3+ years of hardware installation, or production experience in automotive, aerospace, aviation, military or other high-reliability operating environment.
- Solid understanding of connections, harnesses and electromechanical systems.
- Ability to read/understand technical drawings, manuals, and reports.
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.