Hardware and Systems Test Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Subsystems
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are looking for a Systems Test Engineer to join us in testing exciting and revolutionary systems for a new class of all-electric aircraft. You will design and implement acceptance and qualification tests for everything including avionics, electric motors, power electronics, batteries and other subsystems for unconventional aircraft. You will participate in system concept development through delivery of hardware to aircraft integration in addition to verifying aircraft performance before delivery to flight test. You will be responsible for developing and implementing all test plans and procedures as well as designing the necessary fixtures, scripts, and measurement devices to validate performance.
Within 3 months you will:
- Love working here and being part of an awesome team!
- Learn the ins-and-outs of component and aircraft functionality
- Familiarize yourself with requirements documentation
- Take ownership of new subsystems and start developing qualification tests
- Improve upon current acceptance test coverage and help automate the processes
Within 6 months you will:
- Have probably broken or blown-up several things by now (good job!)
- Work with external and in-house test labs to lead environmental testing efforts
- Be intimately familiar with the aircraft architecture and improve upon current tests
- Write and perform tests for hardware in development, acceptance, qualification, and on-aircraft testing efforts-- and get the chance to see your hard work fly!
Within 12 months you will:
- Certify flight hardware for an entirely new aircraft
- Actively improve current test efforts to support a production environment
- Have the experience of taking flight hardware from concept to production
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace, or related engineering degree
- Four years of experience in hardware development or testing
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiarity with aerospace development best practices and standards
- Experience writing and executing test procedures for design validation and qualification
- Extensive experience in operating data acquisition systems (DAQ) for data collection of thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure sensors, load cells, LVDT, etc.
- Ability to post process and analyze data to validate system performance
- Experience with Matlab and/or Python to run tests, gather data, and post-process results
- Experience working with various test lab environments and dealing with outside vendors
- Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with testing per RTCA DO-160
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with FARs relevant to general aviation
- Demonstrated interest in aircraft and aviation
- Basic CAD skills
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.