Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of software team at Flyer you will contribute to many areas of the software stack, particularly focusing on the software that ties the controls, estimation, message passing, and infrastructure code together. You will be responsible for implementing and vetting new features, testing and maintaining software, and rooting out bugs.
You should enjoy working in a small team, owning substantial and critical parts of the final product. You’re a team player without an ego, and you’re passionate about doing whatever it takes to deliver value. We are working on something that has never been done before, so, you’ll be energetic, adaptable and a fast learner who can make sound engineering judgments with limited information.
Within 3 months you will:
- Get to know your talented teammates in software and avionics
- Become deeply familiar with the current software infrastructure and various components
- Re-architect and refactor the main vehicle state machine to be more useable
- Support the transition of an application-based ground station to be web-based
- Implement logging and diagnostics tools
Within 6 months you will:
- Identify points of weakness in the current software architecture and propose updated solutions
- Implement a whole-vehicle diagnostics and debugging software package for automatically detecting failed vehicle components
- Develop robust testing methods for catching software bugs as soon as possible in the development cycle
- BS/MS in CS or EE or equivalent, with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Expert C++ skills
- Proficiency with some scripting language (preferably python)
- Bash (or equivalent) scripting experience
- Linux exposure
- Experience with ROS
- Understanding of efficient testing protocols and frameworks
- Highly automated software development processes and modern tools (git, continuous integration, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to define and implement processes
- Passion for aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.