Head of Operations
Mountain View, CA
Flyer – Operations
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
The flyer team has spent countless hours meticulously designing, building, and testing Kitty Hawk’s first personal flying vehicle. Flyer is currently embarking on a journey from the breathtaking freedom of flight, to a world free from traffic. In this role you will be responsible for leading the strategy and execution of operating and optimizing one or more locations conducting daily customer flights using Flyers.
- Define the goals of different sites, key metrics, instrument our daily activities to measure them, and then optimize the entire process to get more of the key outcomes we’ve identified
- Effectively run the service including customer flow, route logistics, permits, infrastructure, new site development, site operations etc.
- Provide input into what vehicle capabilities need to be proven out by flight test, develop what needs to happen to them through their whole lifecycle, and partner with Manufacturing/Service to build and run a maintenance program
- Develop and evolve the customer training strategy balancing safety, operational effectiveness, and customer experience
- Drive effective, practical conversations about safety and work with the team to find a good risk-assessment based balance of starting a service, safety, etc.
- Develop a tight, closed loop with product and request new features / product changes based on customer experience, operational inefficiencies, and other considerations
- Establish the plan to scale to 100s-1000s of sites which will require hiring, leadership, organization design, etc.
- Partner with teams within Flyer (e.g. Finance, Legal) and leverage them as appropriate to make the magic happen
- Communicate effectively into the org (i.e. why this work is important and how it fits into the broader picture), outside of the org (i.e. representing the team’s views and advocating as needed), and within the org (i.e. listen effectively, but also push back as needed)
- Hire the team, and help every person be the best they can be, both in their current role, future roles at Kittyhawk, and after they leave Kittyhawk
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, advanced degree preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven success in structuring and managing operations and partnerships.
- Track record of managing a larger number of customer/partners/projects; ability to parallel process multiple projects
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and to individually accomplish large amounts of work. You will be expected to drive multiple initiatives at one time in a fast moving environment where the expectations to always deliver results will be high.
- A demonstrated track record of effectively working across departments, functions, and organizations
- Experience working with senior management to align sales strategies and solutions, including the ability to effectively communicate with a C-level audience
- Expertise using metrics and analytics to inform and influence decisions that drive action
- Experience operating a vehicle fleet
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, charitable giving match, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.