Materials & Processes Technician
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Aerostructures /
Here at Kittyhawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kittyhawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are seeking an experienced Materials and Processes (M&P) technician to join our growing Aerostructures team. This position is a unique opportunity to be involved early in driving program decisions on key materials and processes selections. You will be responsible for composite parts fabrication, adhesive bonding, part machining, and testing. Positive attitude, passion, and self-learner mentality are a must have.
- Responsible for monolithic and sandwich composite part manufacturing which involves ply kitting, hand and wet lay-up, core machining, vacuum bagging, and part curing
- Responsible for adhesive bonding via co-curing, co-bonding, and secondary bonding methods
- Responsible for composite part trimming and machining which involves CNC, table saw, and surface grinder use
- Responsible for test assembly and test fixture design and machining
- Responsible for composites testing per ASTM/SACMA standards or internal Kitty Hawk test methods
- Responsible for material flammability testing per FAA test methods
- Responsible for Non-Destructive Inspections (NDI) of composites and metals
- Previous experience in composite structures fabrication, metalworking, woodworking, boat building, or a comparable field involving good judgement, planning, fine motor control, and attention to details
- A good attitude and interest in working in a lab setting along with a team of individuals with diverse skill sets
- 5-10 years of experience with aerostructures composites fabrication, machining, and testing
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kittyhawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kittyhawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kittyhawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kittyhawk is an E-Verify employer.