Palo Alto, CA
Heaviside – Engineering
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are seeking our first Certification Engineer for the Heaviside team. Certification engineers will work within the company to plan certification efforts and provide design guidance. They will also interface with the relevant certification authorities throughout the entire certification process.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on a new aircraft for which many rules require thoughtful consideration and not direct repetition of previously performed certification steps.
- Serve as a liaison with relevant certification authorities for a broad set of technical disciplines
- Work both within the company and with certifying authorities to develop appropriate means of compliance
- Work with systems, verification, design, and test engineers to manage requirements
- Lead the generation of, and uphold, company standards with regards to test rigor, documentation, and overall safety approach
- Contribute to the overall certification and reliability growth strategy within the company
- Previous work as a DER, working closely with a DER, or within a previous aircraft certification effort
- A strong understanding of many of the core disciplines of engineering involved in electric VTOL aircraft. A Bachelors degree in an engineering discipline is helpful, but not sufficient alone, in demonstrating this competency
- Experience with 14CFR part 22,23,25,27,29, or other equivalent certification standards
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.