Software Engineer, HMI/UI/UX
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are currently seeking a HMI/UI/UX software engineer to join our ground systems team, which builds the entire Ground Control Station for Cora. We are looking for someone that is passionate about aviation and the future of transportation to help design the Ground Control Station pilot interface used to remotely interact with our fleet of air taxis. You will be responsible for delivering a user interface for use in flight test and flight operations, and you will enable engineering testing and commercial operations. Successful members of the team have a rigorous design mindset with an eye towards Human Machine Interface (HMI) considerations, as well as demonstrated project delivery experience.
- Take ownership of the UI/UX design of the Ground Control Station pilot display
- Develop, maintain, and test the Ground Control Station user interface
- Gather input from stakeholders, including: Flight Test Pilots, Software Engineers, Systems Engineering, Regulatory Authorities, Third Party vendors, and Program Managers
- Iterate on UI/UX design with stakeholders, flowing from high-level requirements and translate them in to user stories and UI mock-ups and vice versa
- Create UI elements for use in flight operations
- Create documentation on things like pilot station responsibilities and actions.
- Author requirements based on HMI considerations, design iterations, regulatory requirements, user feedback
- Consider opportunities for operational improvements based on feedback from the operators and other stakeholders. Use that feedback to help define the next phases of the development roadmap
- 3+ years experience in human factors, specifically for human/machine interface design
- Experience designing UI elements
- Experience working and communicating with customers to get high level user requirements
- Preferred experience working in an agile environment
- Ability to lead the evaluation of crew interface systems in a flight test environment, including identification of problems, coordination of resolutions and delivery of a revised product
- Experience in aviation
- Experience with VAPS or other tools to create ARINC 661 compliant displays
- Experience with safety-critical software development
- Experience delivering certified safety-critical software (e.g. DO178B/C, or equivalent in non-aviation fields like automotive, medical devices, etc.)
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.