Mountain View, CA
Cora – Software
At Kitty Hawk, we’re revolutionizing the future of air travel.
Our world-class engineering team is combining a century of aviation practices with technology breakthroughs to produce Cora, the world’s first self-piloting air taxi.
In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Today, we’re designing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing aircraft for everyday flight. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a UI/UX/HMI engineer to join the team that builds the ground control system for Cora. You will design and deliver the Ground Control Station pilot interface, which operators use to control our fleet of air taxis. You need a rigorous design mindset, with an eye towards Human Machine Interface (HMI). Successful team members have demonstrated experience delivering projects from conception through deployment.
- Take ownership of the UI/UX design of the Ground Control Station pilot display
- Gather input from stakeholders, including: Flight Test Pilots, Software Engineers, Systems Engineering, Regulatory Authorities, Third Party vendors, and Program Managers
- Iterate on UI/UX design with stakeholders
- Generate high-level requirements and translate them into user stories and UI mock-ups
- Track data values to be displayed by UI
- Create UI elements for use in flight operations
- Create documentation
- Perform usability testing
- Help define the next phases of the development roadmap
- 3+ years experience in human factors, specifically for human/machine interface design
- Experience designing UI elements
- Experience working and communicating with customers to get high level user requirements
- Preferred experience working in an agile environment
- Ability to lead the evaluation of crew interface systems in a flight test environment, including identification of problems, coordination of resolutions and delivery of a revised product
- Experience in aviation
- Experience with VAPS or other tools to create ARINC 661 compliant displays
- Experience with safety-critical software development
- Experience delivering certified safety-critical software (e.g. DO178B/C, or equivalent in non-aviation fields like automotive, medical devices, etc.)
- Familiarity with the ‘C’ programming language
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.