Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Software Engineering /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are leading the race to market with our all-electric Vertical Take off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer to join Heaviside's software team. Your primary responsibility will be to develop and maintain the Continuous Integration environment of the software team as well as the associated tools. You will work closely with software developers and other engineers to understand their needs and the needs of the project, and implement features and solutions in the build pipeline and CI environment. You’ll be collaborating with test engineers to integrate automation test scripts into the pipelines. If you are passionate about automation, have experience in designing CI pipelines, and thrive to deliver high reliability and high availability services for software developers, we’d love to hear from you. You will join a team of very talented software and control engineers that are solving some of the most complex problems for the future of transportation.
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of the Build system and Continuous Integration pipelines for the Heaviside software team
- Integrate, maintain, and upgrade all the tools associated with the CI environment
- Quickly address issues in those services to maintain high reliability and high availability
- Improve the software release and deployment process
- Integrate and link tools that are part of the code repository, build system, code review, task management to improve automation and how software engineers operate
- Track and manage infrastructure costs and budgets
- Manage contractor's priorities, tasks, and deliverables
- Work closely with software developers and other engineers to implement and deliver new features for the CI environment
- Work closely with test engineers to integrate automation test scripts for SITL and HITL into the CI pipelines
- 5+ years industry experience in a hands-on DevOps role, release engineer or equivalent
- Proven experience in designing and implementing Build systems and CI pipelines
- Significant experience working with AWS or GCP
- Strong programming experience with scripting languages such as Python and shell
- Strong experience in Linux environment and command line tools
- Belief in Infrastructure as Code and experience with tools such as Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Experience with Git-based repositories
- Experience with a cross-language build tool, preferably Bazel
- Experience managing remote contractors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and very detail oriented
- Experience in a regulated environment such as aerospace or medical
- Programming experience with C/C++
- Experience with containers and container management (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Passion for aviation and the future of transportation
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.