Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Engineering /
Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer to join the software team for the Heaviside project. Your primary responsibility will be to develop and maintain the Continuous Integration environment of the Heaviside software team as well as all the associated tools. You’ll be working very closely with software developers and other engineers to understand their needs and the needs of the project and implement features and solutions in the build pipeline and CI environment. You’ll be collaborating with test engineers to integrate automation test scripts into the pipelines. If you are passionate about automation, have experience in designing CI pipelines and thrive to deliver high reliability and high availability services for software developers, we’d love to hear from you. You’ll have the opportunity to join a team of very talented software and control engineers that are solving some of the most complex problems for the future of transportation.
- Lead the design, development and maintenance of the Build system and Continuous Integration pipelines for the Heaviside software team
- Integrate, maintain and upgrade all the tools associated with the CI environment
- Quickly address issues in those services to maintain high reliability and high availability
- Improve the software release and deployment process
- Integrate and link tools that are part of the code repository, build system, code review, task management to improve automation and how software engineers operate
- Track and manage infrastructure costs and budgets
- Manage contractors as well as their priorities, tasks and deliverables
- Work closely with software developers and other engineers to implement and deliver new features for the CI environment
- Work closely with test engineers to integrate automation test scripts for SITL and HITL into the CI pipelines
- 5+ years industry experience in a hands-on DevOps role, release engineer or equivalent
- Proven experience in designing and implementing Build systems and CI pipelines
- Significant experience working with AWS or GCP
- Strong programming experience with scripting languages such as Python and shell
- Strong experience in Linux environment and command line tools
- Belief in Infrastructure as Code and experience with tools such as Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Experience with Git-based repositories
- Experience with a cross-language build tool, preferably Bazel
- Experience managing remote contractors
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and very detail oriented
- Experience in a regulated environment such as aerospace or medical
- Programming experience with C/C++
- Experience with containers and container management (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Passion for aviation and the future of transportation
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.