Senior Composites Manufacturing Technician
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Manufacturing /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
You will work with the engineering and design teams to lead and execute a wide variety of hands-on composite fabrication and assembly in support of product development and production for our Heaviside vehicle
- Full time on-site in Palo Alto CA
- 5-7 years hands on experience with composite processing
- 2-3 years experience on either the shop floor or as a laboratory lead
- Proficiency utilizing MS Office/Google Suite (or similar applications) for communication and documentation
- Basic CAD capabilities (Solidworks and/or CATIA preferred)
- Mechanical aptitude, the able to complete hands-on builds, and develop functional product solutions
- Experience working inside an AS9100 controlled quality system
- Experience utilizing ERP/MES systems for manufacturing
- Experience utilizing DAQ systems
- Proficiency in GD&T utilization
- Functional knowledge of resins, prepregs, adhesives, and core materials
- Experience in aircraft component/assembly manufacturing
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Execute composite prepreg, layup, curing, bonding, and finishing processes
- Create digital notes, pictures, data, and document processing details
- Set up and operate pattern cutting and laser ply projection equipment
- Set up and operate ovens, presses furnaces, load frames, and general lab equipment
- Utilize digital calipers, micrometers, and general measuring equipment for process validation
- Utilize hand tools and hand-held power tools during prototyping and production
- Communicate processing results, challenges, and potential solutions/improvements
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.