Composite Manufacturing Technician
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
In our Special Projects team, we keep a tight coupling between our composite shop and our design team. As such, we are looking for a composites manufacturing technician who can meaningfully contribute both to volume builds of components as well as suggest and implement process improvements.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn our in house build processes for existing components
- Learn to operate CNC machines
Within 6 months you will:
- Advise on process improvements to improve on build speed and
- Build flight articles of numerous parts
- Build first articles and both propose and implement design changes to both ply schedules and molds
Within 9 months you will:
- Define build processes for composite flight hardware and vet changes to those processes, and ideally produce or keep up to date associated documentation
- Be a critical part of the small manufacturing team building new vehicles
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Experience with a detail and quality oriented hands on trade. Examples include composite lamination, fine woodworking, sculpting, boatbuilding, etc.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- An aptitude for learning hands on skills and an intuition for mechanical systems
Ideally you would also have the following:
- A pilot’s license or experience in related areas of flight, such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, etc.
- Experience with other detail oriented hands on hobbies.
- Basic machine shop skills
- Experience with any halfway decent mechanical CAD program, such as Solidworks, NX, Catia, Inventor, Fusion, etc
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.