Technical Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Kitty Hawk is currently looking for a Technical Project Manager to join the Controls Engineering team to help them build the next generation of Kitty Hawk's infrastructure.
Our Software Controls Team is building the software platform and tools that keeps our vehicles in the air. As a member of the team, you will work with talented SREs, SWEs, controls engineers, hardware engineers, and flight test engineers to enable the team to operate at peak efficiency.
- Work with the software controls team to understand and set priorities (e.g. understanding the requirements for manned flight)
- Lead the planning process, including long and short-range planning, ticketing, and documentation, balancing long term goals with short term priorities, and revising as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements
- Identify inter-team bottlenecks and ensure strong communication between teams
- Self-driven with an analytical mind - a strong will to learn is an absolute requirement
- Highly energetic with a flexible attitude towards critical tasks
- Excellent organizational, communication, and documentation skills
- Experience working with software development methodologies (e.g. agile, waterfall etc)
- Familiarity with Git, Jira, & Confluence is a plus
- BA/BS in Business, Engineering or a related field. Technical background and Master's degree a plus
Within 3 months you will:
- Become familiar with Kitty Hawk’s software development procedures
- Learn the basic operations of the aircraft and supporting software systems
- Participate in the development planning process, including ticketing and documentation
Within 6 months you will:
- Provide useful feedback to improve software development efficiency and effectiveness
- Coordinate with other teams to ensure that software development priorities are properly aligned
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.