Senior Electrical Validation Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
As a member of Kitty Hawk’s small Special Projects team, you will work on testing, breaking, and improving all aspects of the vehicle’s electrical system, from high voltage motor controllers to triplex flight computers. We design/build/test in rapid iteration, so you’ll be an energetic, adaptable engineer who can make sound judgements with incomplete information. You will work on all levels of validation, from risk identification and test definition, to test execution, to providing design recommendations based on test conclusions.
Within 3 Months You Will:
- Become familiar with the entirety of our aircraft: power system, avionics, sensors, communication, and redundancy approach
- Perform subcomponent validation tests for both nominal and off-nominal conditions
- Collaborate with design engineers to address subcomponent design deficiencies
Within 6 Months You Will:
- Lead FMEA on both subsystem and vehicle level
- Define, execute, and document validation tests to prove subsystem and vehicle single point of failure tolerance
- Contribute to architectural discussions regarding our current and future aircraft
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator, avid documenter, and integrated team member.
You should be able to describe your contributions to previous personal, academic, open source and/or professional projects that you are most proud of.
You should be familiar with all, proficient with most and expert at some of the following, in no particular order:
- Failure modes of electrical components, PCBs, and electromechanical subsystems
- Redundancy and fault tolerance design approaches and techniques
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Writing, executing, and documenting validation test procedures
- Lab and testing equipment such as power supplies, oscilloscopes, hipot testers, and ESD guns.
- Experience testing hardware to DO-160
- Scripting and automation in Python
- Analog and digital circuit design best practices
- Design for reliability in high vibration and high temperature environments
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.