Composite Manufacturing Engineer
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Manufacturing /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
As a Composite Manufacturing Engineer, you will develop, validate, deploy and document manufacturing processes and tooling for composite component and assembly production.
- Develop, validate, and deploy production solutions for composite component processing, assembly, and validation
- Create written and illustrated manufacturing plans, bills of material, and outside purchase specifications per engineering drawings/specifications
- Develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of aircraft design, composite materials, composite fabrication and processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, composite assembly methods, and quality control standards
- Design, deploy, validate, and document manufacturing workflow, layout of equipment, and workspace for maximum efficiency
- Develop and improve manufacturing processes and tooling improvements for composite parts
- Ability to interact with people on the shop floor, good social skills, and able to work with diverse work groups
- Communicate with stake holders to resolve engineering issues related to manufacturing processes, drawings, and specifications
- Assume Project Management responsibilities when directed
- Participate in MRB review of discrepant parts including Cause & Corrective Action
- Coordinate new and current business requirements with Production, Contracts, and Quality
- Support Production in delivery of products to customers on schedule
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent experience
- 5 + years composite manufacturing engineering experience
- Direct experience with RTM, VRTM, hand lay-up, autoclave/oven Cure, compression molding, and metal bonding of aerospace composite parts
- Composite production tools, fixtures, jig design, utilization, deployment, maintenance, and documentation
- GD&T knowledge and utilization
- Direct work experience in AS9100, NADCAP, and NCAMP governed environment
- Exposure to NDI for composites (A-Scan, C-scan, thermography, etc.)
- Demonstrated CAD expertise (CATIA 3DX, CATIA, Solidworks)
- High level MS Excel user
- SPC metric development and utilization
- Must have excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong “hands-on” composite processing capabilities
- Direct ERP/MES set up and utilization experience
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.