Supply Chain Manager
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a Supply Chain Manager to join a yet-to-be-announced project. In this role, you will help with material planning and purchasing while making sure suppliers deliver on time and on budget. The ideal candidate is detail oriented and comfortable with minimal infrastructure in place.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn the parts required to build a vehicle from scratch
- Help fill out a prototype production schedule
- Place orders with existing suppliers to ensure vehicles are never starved of parts
Within 6 months you will:
- Find second sources for critical components
- Help identify new suppliers and work with engineering to get them qualified
- Work with engineering to develop quality plans
Within 12 months you will:
- Partner with the quality lead to perform first audit of our suppliers
- Help drive down costs through negotiations and alternative vendors
- Partner with HR to hire more staff (material handler, purchasing rep etc) as required
- Source, purchase, stock, and kit all production material required to build the vehicle
- Primary point of contact for suppliers, advising on build forecast, quality issues, and design changes
- Manage a small team of material handlers that are responsible for warehouse, internal material movements, and receiving
- Resolving component shortages that arise quickly, preventing impact to the line
- Identify cost saving opportunities in the Bill of Materials, and work with suppliers to reduce material costs
- Own production schedule, ensuring enough inventory to continue building vehicles while supporting engineering tests and design changes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability, with at least five (5) years working experience in supply chain or purchasing
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills. Strategic Sourcing, opportunity analyses, and strong negotiation with highly effective communication skills is a must
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment, prioritize appropriately and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with various cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated success leading a team to achieve a difficult goal, especially in a production or manufacturing environment
- A first principles approach to problem solving; comfortable creating new solutions to problems as opposed to applying tried methods
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbal, between Engineering and Suppliers
- Familiarity with a wide variety of technologies: PCB assembly, wire harness manufacturer, carbon fiber rework, bonding, avionics assembly, CNC machining, and fiber optic routing
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.