Hardware and Systems Test Technician
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Subsystems
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are seeking a Systems Test Technician to join our System Test Group. We design, analyze, manufacture and test avionics, electric motors, power electronics, batteries and other subsystems for unconventional aircraft. Working within a team of engineers and technicians, you will execute tests by following test procedures, collect data, and document results. These tests include both acceptance testing of flight hardware, as well as qualification testing to validate new designs.
Within 3 months you will:
- Love working here and being part of an awesome team
- Shadow the current technicians and engineers to learn how to perform acceptance tests
- Be cognizant of safety first and understand all the risks involved in each test
- Take ownership and run acceptance tests without supervision
- Assist in setting up or tearing down new test rigs
Within 6 months you will:
- Learn the ins-and-outs of each and every component we test
- Actively participate in the improvement of current test procedures to ramp-up for production
- Contribute to qualification and certification test efforts of new hardware
- Operate tests at outside test houses for environmental testing
Within 12 months you will:
- Be capable of understanding and operating tests on the aircraft
- Support production and continually improve our test facilities
- Keep contributing and support all test efforts
- Minimum four years of experience in testing
- Great attention to detail
- Troubleshooting and failure investigation experience (RCCA)
- Experience following test procedures for electronics and electromechanical systems
- Ability to think critically about each test step and the consequence on the article being tested
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement
- Work in a team-based environment to achieve common goals
- Experience setting up and operating data acquisition systems for data collection of thermocouples, accelerometers, strain gauges, pressure sensors, load cells, LVDT, etc.
- Ability to post-process data from tests (Excel experience a must, Matlab experience desired)
- Familiarity with aerospace testing standards like RTCA DO-160
- Familiarity with Python or other coding languages
- Demonstrated interest in aircraft and aviation
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.