Sr. Flight Software Verification Engineer
Cora – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
This position is based in Atlanta, GA.
We are currently seeking an experienced technical team member to join our software and avionics group, which builds the onboard computing hardware to power Cora. You will be a contributor, as well as coordinate the effort of your team, ensuring engineering deliverables are complete and timely, to develop high-quality, well-tested software, for a variety of novel avionics platforms.
Within 3 months you will:
- Participate in the software development process as an individual contributor (requirements analysis and review, test case development and review, design review).
- Get to know your team and be involved in the office's recruiting process
- Become familiar with the company software lifecycle documents and procedures
- Understand team dependencies and deliverables to maximize operational efficiency
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define requirements, dependencies, and schedule needs
- Review and contribute to schedule roadmaps and resource allocation planning
Within 6 months you will:
- Manage schedule, resources and reporting, including risks and recovery plans
- Proactively manage and mitigate program risks
- Take part in, and drive resolution of, software quality assurance audits
- Help others in the office ensure that all teams have adequate inputs to maintain development efficiency
- Suggest and implement improvements to the software development process
- Assist in training development and execution
- BS in computer science, electrical engineering or equivalent
- 3 or more years managing a software development team
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment, prioritize appropriately and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with various cross functional teams
- Ability to internalize the needs of the project to identify and recruit new talent
- Experience managing project requirements, priorities, scope, schedule, resources, cost and reporting
- Experience in the RTCA/DO-178C lifecycle aspects of avionics software, especially the relevant verification activities
- Experience with a software revision management tool
- Experience with a software requirements management tool
- Experience with a software test tool
- Experience with code review formalities, as well as the ability to productively evaluate the work of your peers
- Embedded systems engineering experience and understanding of computer architecture
- Experience working with highly-automated software development processes and modern tools (such as, git/BitBucket, JIRA, Bamboo/Jenkins, etc.)
We are headquartered in Mountain View, CA, and have a satellite office in Atlanta, GA. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.