Production & Vehicle Integration Supervisor
Palo Alto, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are hiring extraordinary manufacturing talent to join our production and vehicle integration operation. We are seeking an experienced production supervisor to help lead vehicle integration operation. You will apply principles of lean manufacturing to produce vehicles in the most efficient way in aerospace manufacturing. You will work closely with our engineering team and will perform a wide variety of hands-on fabrication and assembly tasks in a fast-paced R&D environment.
- Responsible for building and managing a world-class production and vehicle integration team, ensuring all production activities are performed on time, safely and in a professional manner respecting our quality standards
- Collaborate with production managers and engineers to continuously improve processes and products. Ensure incredibly high standards of workmanship within the production and vehicle integration team, calling attention and resolution, according to the engineering standard, to any quality issues that are identified
- Ensure that all requirements for successful vehicle integration are met: Material staging, set-up, assembly operations, test, and installation of avionics & power electronics equipment, amongst other activities
- Become the expert in production vehicle integration, gaining deep knowledge of each process. Able to apply that knowledge in training new technicians while maintaining pace and quality
- Independently perform verifications and document results in a clear, precise and complete manner
- Create work instructions and manufacturing procedures. Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Actively participate in recruiting, interviewing and hiring a team
- Ensure proper MES utilization while performing vehicle integration activities
- Minimum of 2 years in a leadership position
- Minimum of 5 years in final assembly and production in aviation, aerospace, or systems with comparable complexity and high reliability
- Experience with applying lean manufacturing principles, efficiency methods required
- Experience working with an MES system (traceability and genealogy, quality issues tracking, work instruction execution).Experience in building work instructions and assembly procedures
- Experience in training and coaching team members to successfully integrate them in their operations
Preferred Experience or Qualifications:
- Demonstrated success leading a team to achieve a difficult goal, especially in a production or manufacturing environment.
- A first principles approach to problem solving; comfortable creating new solutions to problems as opposed to applying tried methods
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbal, between Engineering and Production
- Comfortable using computers, & software tools: Google Docs, Microsoft Office, Solid Works, etc.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of technologies: PCB assembly, wire harness manufacturing, carbon fiber & composites fabrication, bonding, avionics assembly, electrical sub-assemblies (Low & High Voltage) & fiber optic / wire harness routing
- Experience recruiting, interviewing and hiring a team
We are located in Palo Alto and Hollister, with great access to nice outdoor spaces as well as to airports at both locations. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.