Senior Mechanical Engineer: Battery Systems
Mountain View, CA
Special Projects – Special Projects
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
We are looking for a senior mechanical engineer to join a yet-to-be-announced project. As a member of a small team, you will be responsible for the thermal and mechanical design of the battery system.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn the current state of the art on existing hardware
- Take design ownership and develop critical revisions to existing hardwares
- Design a ground test plan used to qualify hardware
Within 6 months you will:
- Likely make a complete hardware revision
- Redesign either substantial parts or substantial processes
- Design manufacturing processes to increase build rate and reduce variability and build time
- Take design ownership and develop revisions to other non critical mechanical hardware in the electronics group
Within 9 months you will:
- Have your hardware flying regularly on the main line flight testing fleet
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- A mechanical engineering, physics, manufacturing, aerospace, or similar degree
- A background in the design of electromechanical systems, preferably including batteries in safety critical applications
- A background in design for manufacturing for volume production
- Strong drafting and tolerancing skills
- Strong CAD skills in any halfway decent CAD program
- A background in structural analysis of metals and/or composites
Ideally you would also have the following:
- A pilot's license or experience in related areas of flight, such as RC model aircraft, paragliding, hang gliding, etc.
- Engineering related hobbies
- Experience with power electronics or battery design, in particular with high voltage systems
- Experience in classical machine design and classical metal parts design
- Experience with various methods of higher rate manufacture in metals and/or composites
- Experience with design for challenging environmental conditions in terms of vibration, water intrusion, and corrosion
We are located in Mountain View and Palo Alto, near Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches and snacks, flight lessons, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.