Lead Electrical Engineer
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Propulsion
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
We are currently seeking a Lead Electrical Engineer with broad experience to join us in developing exciting and revolutionary systems for a new class of all-electric aircraft. As Lead Electrical Engineer, you will join, expand, and manage an existing team of electrical and FPGA firmware engineers. This group develops all of the electrical hardware in the Cora vehicle, including flight computers, high power density controllers for brushless permanent magnet motors, DC/DC converters, low voltage power distribution systems, battery management systems, and miscellaneous other power electronics and avionics systems. You will have the opportunity to contribute from early brainstorming and concept development, through aircraft integration and troubleshooting issues that arise during flight testing.
Within 3 months you will:
- Become part of the team, get familiar with team members and learn what they are working on
- Learn about the aircraft electronics architecture and existing hardware/firmware development processes
- Work with electrical engineers on board level and sub-system level bring up and troubleshooting
- Become a reviewer of schematics, layouts, analyses, and test results
Within 6 months you will:
- Help establish and enforce improved design, analysis and documentation guidelines
- Hire new engineers to expand the electrical engineering team
- Support certification of the electrical hardware for Cora
- Contribute to writing requirements, documentation on design and generate test evidence to validate the requirements
Within 12 months you will:
- Evaluate options for improving the avionics and power distribution architecture
- Kickoff and shepard development of upgraded avionics and power distribution systems
- 5 to 10 years applicable experience
- Experience with development, design, analysis and test of:
- Analog Sensor Interfaces
- Power Supplies and Topology Selection
- Microprocessor/MCU Integration
- Thermal Management of Electronics
- Familiarity with DO-160 and DO-254 certification and aerospace development best practices and standards
- RTL (VHDL, Verilog, System Verilog) design or verification experience
- Comfortable with aerospace development best practices and standards
- Great interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead small teams of engineers
- Experience with Altium schematic capture and layout tools
- Experience with high voltage (600VDC) and/or multi-kilowatt design and test
- Experience with weight minimization
- Experience developing thermal management approaches for power electronics
- Familiarity with the latest SiC and GaN power electronic devices
- Experience writing and executing test procedures for design validation and qualification
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.