Systems Engineer, Ground Control Station
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Systems
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
This position will be responsible for systems engineering activities related to aircraft control and monitoring. Activities include capturing use-cases from stakeholders, architecting requirements data, authoring high-quality descriptions of product functions, and ensuring an implementation satisfies those functions via test and analysis. Examples of product features this individual will be responsible for are similar to instruments and systems found in an aircraft flight deck.
- Help design the Ground Control Station for self-navigating air taxis
- Capture system-level requirements and track to completion
- Evaluate and select computer, networking, and radio hardware
- Perform link analysis, build vs. buy analysis, and DFMEA
- Coordinate between different teams (software, hardware, IT, and flight test)
- Compile bill of materials for Ground Control Station
- BS/MS in computer systems engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to translate inputs into a set of accurate, feasible, traceable and testable requirements
- Proficiency in the usage of a requirements management tool (Jama, Polarion, DOORs, etc).
- Ability to perform analysis: build vs. buy, data link margin, hazard analysis, DFMEA, etc.
- Safety-oriented with an eagerness to correctly satisfy rigorous external requirements based on process, regulation or technical standards
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- 5+ years experience in systems engineering in aviation or related fields
- Familiarity with aviation, space, or other safety-critical systems
- Exposure to networking, telecommunications, and data center operations
- Familiarity with embedded real-time systems
- Have worked with vendors and integrated third-party equipment
- Experience developing software requirements and knowledge of the systems engineering and verification challenges specific to software products.
- Experience with requirements verification and the ability to author requirements-based tests.
- Practical experience working with the following standards and documents: ARP4754, ARP4761: Systems Engineering and Systems Safety Process; DO-178C, DO-254: Aviation Software and Hardware; CFR 14 (FARs): US Aviation Regulations; FAA/Industry publications, such as TSOs, ACs, CAST papers
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, gym membership subsidies, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, charitable giving match, IP bonus program, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.