Systems Engineer, Ground Control Station
Mountain View, CA
Cora – Software
Here at Kitty Hawk, where a century of aviation practices meets technology breakthroughs and a world-class engineering team, things are looking up. In 1903, the Wright brothers took flight for the first time from the beaches of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. Our journey started by designing, testing and building all-electric vertical take-off and landing products for work and play. Today, in California, we are building on the Wright Brothers’ legacy to create the next generation of vehicles for everyday flight.
Cora began as a dream. A self-piloting air taxi so personal and so simple it could take the trips we make everyday, the ones that define our lives, and bring them to the sky. We’ve been at work on Cora since 2010, tackling some of the biggest challenges in aviation. Today, that dream is one step closer. Join us in making that dream a reality.
This position will be responsible for systems engineering activities related to aircraft control and monitoring. Activities include capturing use-cases from stakeholders, architecting requirements data, authoring high-quality descriptions of product functions, and ensuring an implementation satisfies those functions via test and analysis. Examples of product features this individual will be responsible for are similar to instruments and systems found in an aircraft flight deck.
- Define requirements based on system-level requirements and end-user use cases
- Work with various teams such as systems engineering, software, safety, and flight test to ensure requirements are complete
- Use past experience or domain-specific knowledge (in the areas of aviation systems, aviation regulations or functional safety) to develop missing system and component requirements
- Develop expertise in new technical domains, such as the areas of aviation regulations, aviation operations, standard processes for development of software
- BS/MS in computer science, systems engineering, mechanical engineering or equivalent
- Subject matter expertise in requirements engineering
- Experience authoring requirements in all product lifecycle phases
- Experience with requirement decomposition and allocation
- Proficiency in the usage of a requirements management tool (Jama, Polarion, DOORs, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to translate input into a set of accurate, feasible, traced and testable requirements
- A practical, safety-oriented ambition with an eagerness to correctly satisfy rigorous external requirements based on process, regulation or technical standards
- 5+ years experience in systems engineering, systems integration in aviation or related fields.
- Strong intuition for the product from experience as an operator, test or design engineer of related aviation systems.
- A conceptual understanding of relevant regulatory, technical and performance requirements, as well as the rationale of those requirements.
- Experience in development of systems with functional safety requirements, and the processes which govern their lifecycle.
- Experience in development of software requirements and knowledge of the systems engineering and verification challenges specific to software products.
- Experience with requirement verification. Specifically, the ability to author requirements-based tests which fully exercise a given function.
- Practical experience working with the following standards and documents: ARP4754, ARP4761: Systems Engineering and Systems Safety Process; DO-178C, DO-254: Aviation Software and Hardware; CFR 14 (FARs): US Aviation Regulations; FAA/Industry publications, such as TSOs, ACs, CAST papers
We are located in Mountain View just a couple of hundred feet from Shoreline Lake and its surrounding walking/jogging trails. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance (company pays 100% of employee premium), unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 50% company matching (no vesting period), commuter assistance, and education assistance. And on top of all that, we also offer a variety of perks such as free catered lunches, flight lessons, snacks, drinks, fruits, employee referral bonus, IP bonus program, afternoon chocolate, happy hours and many more.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.