Senior Flight Training Manager
Palo Alto, CA /
Heaviside – Operations /
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We are looking for someone to lead the development and implementation of our remote pilot training program.
You will work with our product, engineering and flight test teams to design, build, and field the remote piloting simulator for our next-generation aircraft. You’ll help our product team evaluate our passenger experience, conduct UI/UX development and testing, and act as an ambassador to potential customers, business partners, and regulators by providing them with their first experience in “flying” in our aircraft.
You’ll train new remote pilots to safely fly our aircraft within the current regulatory environment, and help prepare Kitty Hawk to rapidly scale our training program as we go to market, and you’ll adapt our team and curriculum to take advantage of regulatory improvements as Advanced Air Mobility becomes widely accepted.
Externally, you’ll work with regulatory authorities in the FAA and the DoD, and industry groups like GAMA to help define the standards that will lead the eVTOL industry to commercial success.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in aviation training, including authoring flight training syllabi and curricula, operating advanced flight simulators, and will possess a deep understanding of applicable Federal Aviation regulations.
Within 3 months you will:
- Learn about current and future Kitty Hawk aircraft to develop a deep understanding of our technology, operations, and go-to-market strategy
- Define the requirements for our remote-piloting simulator
- Refine, formalize and implement our internal pilot training syllabus
- Develop a comprehensive way-ahead for Kitty Hawk’s training and simulation team
Within 6 months you will:
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to build and field remote-piloting simulators for our product aircraft
- Develop a remote-pilot training syllabus suitable for existing private, commercial, military, or UAS pilots
- Operate our remote-piloting simulator for pilot training and customer demonstrations
Within 12 months you will:
- Work with external stakeholders to train 40+ remote pilots and incorporate their feedback and our operational learnings to iterate and make our syllabus more efficient
- Develop a ground-up remote-pilot training syllabus for novice pilots with no aviation experience
- Prepare Kitty Hawk to scale pilot training to support our go-to-market strategy
- Previous experience developing comprehensive flight training programs
- Previous experience operating and instructing in advanced aviation simulators
- Understanding of Federal Aviation Regulations, with a deep understanding of 14 CFR Parts 61, 91, and 135
- Understanding of simulator architecture and industry standards
- Private, Commercial, or Instructor Pilot Rating
- Familiarity or experience with eVTOL/UAM/AAM technology
- Experience certifying Full Flight Simulators or Advanced Training Devices
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.